March 7, 2014

Biking to the Waipaoa River Estuary

As it has been over a month since I had an actual job I was very determined to find a job in Gisborne. However, I was only in town for the month of February which was really only 3 weeks of availability when it really came down to it so things were not looking good. I actually dressed up and walked around to several hotels with my resume hoping that they needed some housekeeping help. While I was out I met a local guy that owned one of the motels and he was kind enough to sit down and suggest some other places for me to call to see if I could get some seasonal agricultural work. So far I have missed the peak months for Gisborne fruit picking season. But I did fill out a couple more applications and spoke to several different orchards. I was already close to the beach dropping off the applications so I took the opportunity to bike down along the coast to where the Waipaoa River meets Poverty Bay.

The location is a popular fishing spot and really a pretty view of Poverty Bay.

 

 

 
There were tons of seagulls out and off to the south east you get a good view of Young Nick's Head. The young guy Nick first spoted the light colored cliffed headland when discovering New Zealand and so he got the headland named after him.
 
 
I then biked back down the beach road to where the other river's join Poverty Bay. Lots of people were out surfing and walking their dogs along the beach.
 


 
 


 
 
It was a beautiful ride and nice way to relax. I decided then that I had put out as much as I could toward finding a job and that I would now wait to see what happened. And if not there is still lots to see here in Gisborne.

No comments:

Post a Comment