April 18, 2014

Where HAVE I Been???

Yes.... I get one newspaper article written about me and referencing my blog and what do I do??? I go MIA for over a month! I know I know so slack. But I do have a pretty amazing excuse... I have been just too busy having fun and really getting to feel at home here in Whangarei. I mean... where do I start!!

 
It is a beautiful town and I can't get lost while I am here. I am staying on the rounded mountain on the right horizon. Kinda fun to look at a mountain as "home".


To begin with the people I have housesat for here have been absolutely amazing. They drove me around the city making sure that I was familiar with the town and even let me use their cute little yellow car! Before they left they introduced me to several of their friends and neighbors, took me to the temp agencies in town so I could apply for jobs, spoke with orchard owner nearby and left books and maps that would entertain and allow me to explore the area.


Doesn't hurt that this is my bedroom, and the view from the inside is even more amazing!



The house comes with a pretty cuddly little cat that I have gotten to take care. Muffy and I have become pretty good friends. Not that I don't miss Snickers!



One of the best things about the past month is that they were able to introduce me to the neighbors, who have HORSES!!! Yep! That's right, I have gotten to spend hours out at the neighbor's farm riding and have really grown to like their dapple grey Todd. The neighbors have also been amazing showing me around, checking up on me and just making me feel like part of the family.  

 
I think I know a couple people who would be relieved this is as close to finding a kiwi boy I like that I have gotten :)


 I was also left with a beautiful garden and tons of lovely food so I got to spend some quality time in the kitchen and really enjoyed cooking to cook, not because I have to get something prepared right now or because I am starving. I actually had people over to help me eat all that I had cook and was invited out for dinner several times so I was able to introduce some people to some of the recipes that I grew up with and they were able to share some kiwi favorites.

 
Some were new recipes but turned out quite well if I don't say so myself!


I have been doing a lot of hiking since I got here but in Whangarei I was able to join a "ladies tramping group". Yep... still kills me they for some reason call hiking tramping here. I was amazed at how friendly and interesting this group of women were and learned so much about the local history, wildlife and plants. They were also excellent to talk to about other trails I was thinking about walking.
I finally found a job! One of the temp agencies was happy to place me in a office receptionist position part time while I was in town. It has been a bit different, and a bit the same! Offices really are offices no matter what country you are in. But having a job has made me feel much more productive.
 
How involved I have been able to get here has also already started to set me up for my next housesitting location. While it is on the complete opposite end of the country I have been given contact information for some people that own horses there and am able to just transfer my temp file to a local agency. I have also learned more about how to find the groups in communities here that really make you feel like part of the community.

I have already promised the friends I have made here that I will come back to the north before I leave New Zealand and several have joked that they need to find me a Kiwi guy to try and make me stay!

I am going to try to start catching up (again!) on the postings because already I have exciting things planed for my trip down the island. Which seems to be approaching very very fast. Right now I am off on a roadtrip to the Far North!



 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment